Treatment for Uterine Fibroids
There’s no single best approach to uterine fibroid treatment but various treatment options do exist. If you are facing certain fibroid symptoms, talk to your doctor for options of the treatments available. Few remedies mentioned below may be effective in shrinking or eliminating fibroid tumors as well as alleviating discomfort and symptoms during pregnancy as well:
Eating foods that help in reducing estrogen level may help to shrink fibroids.
- Consume a whole grain meal which includes multi grain, beans, sprouts and oats on a regular basis. This will help in increasing the fibre content of the diet which will help in reducing the circulating estrogen levels. Avoid sugar and simple carbohydrates such as white bread or white flour (Maida) items because it causes inflammation, pain and swelling.
- Restrict the consumption of caffeine by reducing the intake of coffee and tea. Higher intake of caffeine i.e. 500 mg or above per day which is equal to 4 to 5 cups of coffee may produce more estrogen in the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle. This leads to increased circulating levels of estrogen in the body. It’s better to go for decaffeinated coffee, black tea or green tea which are more effective options. Study shows EGCG component present in green tea may reduce the size and weight of uterine fibroids.
- Increase the consumption of plant based diet. Include vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts which are a good source of natural antioxidants. This also helps to maintain estrogen levels in the body.
- Consumption of plant based estrogens which are known as Phytoestrogens help in shrinking the size of the fibroids. These substances act as anti estrogenic phytoestrogens which inhibit the fibroid growth. Include soya beans, nuts and oilseeds, flaxseeds, lentils, beans and peas.
- Essential fatty acids (EFA) such as EPA and DHA help in maintaining a hormonal balance and reduce inflammation in the body. Deep sea fatty fish such as cod, herring, tuna, mackerel, salmon etc. are good sources of EFA.
- Studies have shown that regular exercise program helps in shrinking the fibroids. Exercise helps to regulate hormone balance and regular ovulation. Other physical activities like walking and swimming are very effective in women having fibroids.
- Obesity has been linked to increased incidence of uterine fibroid growth. According to the US department of health, women who are overweight have two to three times’ higher chances of developing fibroids than a normal weight woman. Keeping a close watch on weight through proper food intake and regular exercise program is very important to keep fibroids at bay.
- Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to uterine fibroids. According to a research article published online in the journalBiology of Reproduction it has been found that vitamin D may effectively reduce the size of existing uterine fibroids, and infact may help to avoid the formation of fibroids itself. Getting exposed to sunlight every day is the best way to avoid Vitamin D deficiency.
- Other lifestyle changes would include stress management, avoid alcohol and smoking.